Thursday, January 27, 2011

An apology to academics (that lack tact)

So I openly proclaimed how I was totally against (most) academics for being elitist because they produce totally unreadable manuscripts or journals that serve as a barrier to entry for aspiring students.

looks like a wrestler lol
Until I recently got re-acquainted with (translated works of) fellow great  French philosopher-sociolinguist-historian Michel Foucault (which does not look like what I'd expect him to look like at all).

Quick intro. This guy writes in extremely long sentences, most of them confusing. From the little that I've read, the structure of his sentences can be reduced to; a topic statement, followed by elaboration and tons (and I mean tons) of examples (to the point that by the time you're done reading the sentence, you had to go back to the beginning to see what he was originally talking about).

Notable reviews from colleague of mine that were succinctly put include; "This is the first time I've read a passage where I know the words, but the words don't know me." and "I've never read a journal where I know the meaning of each word, but I have no idea what he's talking about."

And these colleagues of mine are (supposed to be) scholars, so these words that they know a out? Most of the people (that would be classified as laymen) have zero idea of. 'Bombastic' words, as most put it.

It doesn't help that it is often impossible to get at what Foucault is trying to say, "What is his stand?" most will ask. Ah, asking that is the deadliest question and the surest way to fail in reading Foucault. One cannot indulge in the preconditioned inclination that all of us try to comfortably slide back into that is the pursuit of a 'purpose' or a 'conclusion'.

What this (bald) guy's writing does, (in my opinion,) is not to tell you something or to teach you a nugget of his knowledge, no. What ideally would happen is it would raise questions, thus promoting thinking in the reader. It makes you think and question everything! (transforming you into a five year old philosopher) Something I myself strive to do in my writing (which.. makes me think if I'm doing selective reading and seeing what I want to see.. realizing my own 'agenda'.. but that, is another long grandmother story of its own :P)

*rereads everything* ..okay, what I was trying to say (before I went off on a completely different tangent,) is that I owe this (bald!) guy, and probably many other guys I didn't give a damn to research, an apology. They might very well be elitist, but at least I don't think it's right to jump the gun and call the kettle black :(

Because I realized...

...That I write in the exact same way LOL

Sorry guys :P Guess I'm a black dark-skinned pot, huh. And also, apologies to all the readers who have been echoing "TL;DR" all the time ^o^; Is my 'English' that difficult to understand? Or am I unbelievably long winded and unstructured? 

Do let me know okay~ I value feedback very very much (because it boosts my ego so <3) ..that's what's the reply option is for, right? ^o^v


*P.S. - I didn't really feel guilty about calling people (I don't know shit about) elitist. I just really ran out of ideas for what to post today and decided to feature a (bald) philosopher on my blog ;P Thanks for reading~

6 comments:

  1. completely unrelated. i like the how does it feel to be one of the beautiful people post <333333333333333333 i agree. XD i like looking at beautiful people. @@ check out claire cil on my list of friends. *_*

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol howcome you comment here instead of on LJ itself one *o* Hehe, thanks for the recommendation.. you like looking at pwetty girls too huh *_*_*_* lol XP

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA that sounded... wrong. tee hee because i usually comment here? rofl she's my coursemate. should i go to my class blindfolded then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOO ToT nothing wrong with that~ you should go to class with a camera LOL XP

    aiyo comment anywhere you want la v_v; poor LJ nobody layan LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. TL;DR jk jk

    looks more like danzel washington to me XD

    ReplyDelete