Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The tragic state of humanity..?

Not long ago, I was sitting as I am now, in a cyber cafe checking out stuffs because I have no internet at home.

Suddenly, it started raining!

I was shocked and dismayed T_T I wanted to quickly come in, check and download the neccesary stuffs, then go back home and have dinner.. I was stuck in the rain, alone, food-less and money-less...

The only thing I had was the Internet!

And it wasn't enough to sustain me T_T

That's why la, people ask me all the time "how can you live without internet ah, if I ah, sure die if no internet for one day".

That's not true! I don't need internet to live! And I bet neither do you! In fact, if I had nothing but the internet, I would be close to death! >o< (believe me, I've been through it) So you don't need internet to live because you can live without the internet!

Ok la, that is so post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy right. T_T

Anyways, what I wanted to say was it's pretty tragic, how people are so reliant on the internet nowadays, so dependent! (Mr. Savio's words start to make sense now.. oh no..)

Which brings me to my next point, this reliance to the internet might actually be dumbing down society as a whole, as that is not good if you're a good person, but very good if you're a bad person.

There is this term on the internet, tl:dr (go look it up, I'm not going to link to it. Don't worry, I'll wait. ITS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD T_T see, I care for you ^o^)

...which literally means "too long; didn't read", which basically means "aiyo so long malas la", which kinda means "yor why you write so long wan +_+", which also means "omg wall of text ignore ignore"
...I blame it on the phenomena of chats, facebook, and most recently, twitter! And because I haven't really been on the internet very often, I bet the 'fast paced lifestyle' of the internet has already created yet another shorter form of conversation that puts twitter to shame~

Everything is getting smaller and shorter nowadays.. that's the cool thing to do, isn't it? It's what's in. Just look at all the girl's shorts and skirts.. not that i'm complaining..

..er.. ahem :3 Yeah, the existence of these phenomena has the exact same effect as the invention of the calculator some 190  years ago (mad shoutout to my buddy Wikipedia, the most unreliable source on the [known] internet), with a calculator, you don't need to calculate petty calculations in your head, or waste a page of precious papyrus leaves! Just *tap tap tap* TADA ^O^

Which tragically brings us back to the sad explanation of the steep decline in produced texts over 50 words. Novels and storybooks are 'acquired tastes' now, people rather digest the wonderful plot through the eyes of a director (which leads to the death of imagination and creativity, as you often need someone else to do it for you, but, that, is a story for another day) in the cinema, or just download it online, for FREE :D

What good is writing anything anymore then, if it can only be appreciated by a select few whilst the exponential majority of humans simply turn away when confronted with a huge wall of text (such as this one). There goes my career as a book author :P

But hey, I'm not saying we should throw our bodies upon the gears, upon the wheels, upon the levers and all the apparatus of the internet to.. er.. make it stop? or something. Look at me, I don't have internet, I say I don't rely on it, but here I am, in a cyber cafe downloading information and blogging to.. you :D

No comments:

Post a Comment