Sunday, October 24, 2010

Jumping the Shark

Jumping the Shark is an idiom.. or an expression (I really need to get my terminology right..) that.. signifies the beginning of the end, basically.

Doesn't really make sense, does it? Well, it originated from a climatic scene from (a series, I think,) "Hollywood", which was apparently really awesome, and from what I gathered, after this point is when definition that our good friend Wicky.. jumped the shark.

The definition basically breaks into two basic ideas;

It is the moment that signifies the beginning of the downturn of a successful enterprise.
and,
It's a moment, where you know that something has reached it's peak, its height, its climax. And then you know that after that, it's all going downhill.

Putting these two together, we'd reach a conclusion that jumping the shark basically signifies the Best Moment of Your Life, where as delightful as that is, it also means that by being the best moment, the subsequent moments of your (remaining) life would be.. not, best.


Any other moment in the future following that moment would pale in comparison to back when you jumped the shark!

"Hey! I just scored a perfect score!" but it can't compare to when I jumped the shark!

"OMG I JUST WON THE LOTTERY" but money can't propel me over a shark!

etc etc.

...To relate to 'real life', look at the experience that many (stereotypical) girls would want to be the best moment of their life, their Marriage.

It's supposed to be special and all, but wishing it to be the Best Moment of Your Life would make you jump the shark. It's cool and great while it lasts, but it might mean that the rest of your married life will pale in comparison to that One Day.

Doesn't sound very appealing now, does it?

"Dude, are you asking me not to want to have an awesome moment in my life ever?"

Well, you could leave jumping your shark until the last moment of your life (preferably jumping into its mouth, that would be awesome ;D). You know, go out with a bang? ^_^v

"Damn that sounds really pessimistic. If everyone thinks like you, we'd all live mediocre lives.. and only have an awesome moment just before we die?"

While that sounds like a good setting for a story, this is actually a good example of how people misunderstand concepts and philosophy and jump to conclusions, switching from extreme to extreme. I'm not implying that you shouldn't have an awesome moment in your life ever, no! On the contrary, you can jump the shark all you want, whenever you want!

Just don't think of it as the Best Moment of Your Life!

That way, you'd trade the knowledge of knowing (or nominating) the Grand Best Moment of Your Life with the possibilities (potential) of having limitless great moments (in your life) *_*

This really plays nicely with my Theory of the Meaning of Life and the problem of humanity trying their best to put a label on everything (a.k.a. Labelitis in really cool philosophical circles. Yeah, there is one. That's where all the cool people hang out. No, it's invite only, we're pretty elitist. Yes, I am ashamed to admit that) ... but I digress.


Riight, I think I've rambled on enough for now. As always, please let me know if you'd like to read more of such things (or less) ;P Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment