Sunday, May 29, 2011

Congratulasi is in order

bodiesuponthegears.blogspot.com would like to extend its warmest congratulations to the winner of Grand Prix Trials - Shanghai 2011;

Me ^o^

*pelted with rotten tomatoes, which has rated this movie with a 97% fresh*


Yeah babey, I'm so proud of myself for winning a 12-person tournament *_* Last time I used to pride myself in getting number 9 in my form 6 class ^o^ pretty good, right?

...except that the class only had 9 people~ ooooohhhhh XD *high fives myself*


v__v ya ya ok I know I know *sighs*

So today's blog is going to be Magic the Gathering (hereby allways refered to as MtG) and tactical strategy gaming. I've been meaning to make blogposts about magic, but have always stopped myself because I'm a total nobody and I really don't have anything to back up my theories..

..and then I realized I've been spouting what I claim to be 'enlightening philosophies' for the better part of nine months... has it really been almost nine months? o_o damn.. people get born in that span of time.. holy, shit.

So yesterday, I pretty much creamed everybody I faught against in the tournament (which means I won 4 lucky games against friendly opponents, won 1 game against an asshole that deserves to be put into his place, lost a game to The Aura, and made a shady deal.. ;_;)

The main point I'm trying to get into here is what I think is important when playing in a tournament; focus. I was pretty focused in every game I played, except the one where I got my ass handed to by The Aura ;_; *sniffle* ..ahem. Focus, is really what got me that far into the tournament.

I played against decorated team leader and pro player Khairul, or better known as 'kairuru' in the chatbox over there <-- and won two drawn out games in the semifinals.

What was interesting is that later that night (or this morning, rather), we went to a maple and played around 30+ games with the same two decks and he absolutely creamed me T_T I won less than 10 out of those games.. seriously.

Then earlier today I played tetris on facebook, and boy is that game addictive. I would like to say that I've pretty much figured out the tactics to succefully play that game, its pretty simple anyway and doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure out.. but I lost twenty games in a row T__T

All this can be blamed by a lack of focus. I'm not saying that I was simply playing these games where I lost and just hurped durped through them with a -_- face, I was trying to win! But I wasn't in the zone, as most people would call it.

In the tournament, I was focusing on everything and anything that my opponents were doing and or capable of doing. It was amazing, it was like I was in the zone and was in complete control of my turns, their turns, and the draft.

When I was playing tetris a few days ago, I shot up to rank 20 in a jiffy without a sweat and was beating (very hard, AI generated) opponents left and right. I was slamming tetris bricks with 300+ APM (actions per minute) and was in the zone *_*

Earlier today, when I lost about a hundred games in tetris, I realized that my APM was considerably lower as if I was playing in slow mo with a -_- face.. and thats why I lost. It wasn't because of me making horrible mistakes or not pulling off good combos. When I looked at the opponents screen, I simply realized that it was playing FREAKING FAST @_@ it was as if it was playing on a whole different level.

Same thing, when I was playing in the tournament, it was as if I was playing a wholly different game than when I play magic casually. This is when I realized that in order for me to do things properly, I have to be one hundred thousand percent focused towards it or else I get distracted.. I blame my high brain volatiliy T_T

I don't even need to relate it to gaming, even when I'm doing work like typing stuff for assignments or homework, I often have to turn off my music T_T No, not just that, even when I'm blogging, I blog faster and fluenter when there is no music on (like now) and take almost four times longer to finish a post if I'm listening to music or am distracted (like how I used to be in the cyber cafe with guys screaming at the top of their lungs every fourty three seconds)

Hmm.. but since the main focus on how to do well in tournaments is to well, be focused (aka in the zone) and that advice mainly stems from the fact that I'm easily distracted because my brain is highly volatile.. (I mean I change topics mid sentence all the time.. I'm horribly frustrating to talk to T_T) ..I think this advice won't be applicable to most people anyway 'o'

^^;; oh well, so much for strategy articles :3 Better luck next time~!

No comments:

Post a Comment